Sunday 29 March 2015

Wanderlust: Copenhagen!

Hey there guys and gals :-)

I'm just home from Copenhagen, so said I'd write a little post to let ye know what I got up to there! I had gotten the flights for only 1.20 return with a recent promotion with Ryanair - YES, you read that right... 1 euro and 20 cents! And what a beautiful and fun weekend we had in Copenhagen, which in my opinion, might be one of the nicest European cities I've ever been!


Day One: 

After avoiding temptation at The Loop in Dublin Airport, and a 2 hour flight, we finally got to check into Wakeup Copenhagen Borgergade, which was only a short 10-15 minute metro journey from the airport, which was great! The location of this hotel was just perfect, as it was within walking distance of nearly everything! If you come out of the hotel and go to the right you have the picturesque scenes of Nyhavn in front of you, as well as one of the longest shopping pedestrian streets in Europe, home to many of my favourite brands, and even if you're not into shopping, it is well worth going for a romantic stroll through this cobbled street! And if you go left, you have the beautiful Rosenborg castle in front of you! Truly the location is perfect. The hotel itself was very nice and modern, though the rooms were on the small side, they were ideal for a short break, and had all the essential you'd need - comfortable bed, flat screen tv, nice shower, and good WiFi! Our first stop was at Hotel Chocolat, where we got a gorgeous hot chocolate, perfect to warm us up in the cold weather! I got 50% milky chocolate with white chocolate cream, and John got the same except with cocoa cream!


We then found ourselves in Stroget, one of the best shopping streets in Copenhagen, home to both Danish and international shops. They literally had all of my favourite shops along this street, Zara, Topshop, H&M, MAC and Sephora to name but a few! The latter being one that I was very excited about seeing as we don't have one in Ireland.. Where I did a small bit of shopping, which I'll be posting later in the week, so if you're interested to see what I picked up in Sephora then keep your eyes peeled :-) All of the shopping had made us hungry, so we decided to stop at Tight for dinner, which we had looked up on Tripadvisor in advance! And OHMYGOD, it was amazing! To start, we got mussels 'sauce poulette', which is just mussels in a creamy garlic sauce with crusty bread, which was so delicious.. We shared a bottle of wine which was recommended to go with the starter we had chosen, which was also beautiful. For mains, I got the Tight burger - which was definitely out of character for me, as I usually don't really like burgers, but this one definitely changed my opinion on that, with homemade burger buns, carmelized onions and mushrooms, bacon, cheese and garlic potatoes and aoli, I thought I'd have to be rolled out of the restaurant and definitely didn't have room left for dessert. My better half got the most melt-in-your-mouth BBQ ribs either of us had ever tasted.. Couple amazing food and wine, with a warm service and atmosphere, leaves you with a pretty fantastic meal, and the perfect end to a great first day in Copenhagen. 



Day Two:

We started our day with a stroll down by Nyhavn, which is along the canal, and was really pretty and bustling with people in the morning, which led us to Christianhavn, where we got some brunch. I love the lipstick I was wearing, which was 'Coralista' from Wet 'N' Wild, which only cost me 2 euro - bargain! 


We had bought Copenhagen cards online in advance, which give you access to most attractions, musuems and sites as well as travel on all metros, trains, buses and waterbuses for a predetermined amount of time - this decision was one of the best we had made and definitely saved us a lot of money, so if you're travelling to Copenhagen, I would recommend you check these out here! Firstly, we went to Copenhagen Zoo, which was a fun way to pass a few hours, I especially loved the hippos and the polar bears, which were so cute! 



Then, we went to the Visit Carlsberg brewery, which was conveniently very close to Copenhagen Zoo, which was fun, and also included in the Copenhagen Card.. Tired after all our adventures of the day, we took a pit-stop in the Hard Rock Café for happy hour, where I got some of my favourite cocktails - Hurricane Blues, and Strawberry Daiquiris - YUM!



For dinner, we went to a warehouse on Paper Island, which is home to Copenhagen street food, and pretty much every cuisine you can think of! First of all, we got a mouthwatering pulled pork sandwhich from Oink Oink, then we got chicken and beef tacos from Tacos Chucos, and finally fish and chips from Toldbodens fish n' chips! If you're ever in Copenhagen, I really recommend that you visit Copenhagen Street Food, no matter how fussy you are you're bound to find something you like, and have lots of fun doing so :-) 




 Day Three: 

On our last day in Copenhagen, we made a trip to the Rosenborg castle, and then unfortunately, it was home time for us, after spending a memorable weekend in Copenhagen <3 If you have any questions about anything in this post, please leave a comment! If you're interested in what I picked up in Sephora, then keep an eye out for that post during the week, along with a mini homeware haul. As always, thanks for reading :-)

Love, 
Becca 
xx







No comments:

Post a Comment